Prep time: 40 minutes
1. Clean and wash the okra. Dice all but 6. Add 3 cups of water and salt to a large saucepan and bring to a boil. Once the water is boiling, add both the diced and the whole okra to the pan.
2. Boil the okra for 5-8 minutes. Remove pan from heat. Set whole cooked okra aside for garnish. Measure 2 cups of liquid from the cooked okra to use for cooking the cou-cou.
3. Mix the cornmeal in a large bowl with 1 cup of cold water to moisten and blend it together. Stir the cornmeal slowly into the reserved liquid and okra inside of the pot. Use a wooden spoon to mix everything together.
4. Return the pot to the stove over medium heat, add margarine and continue to stir okra and cornmeal. Cook and stir for about 15-20 minutes.
5. Insert the wooden spoon into the center of the cou-cou. If the spoon stands up in the pot and can easily be removed from cornmeal, the cou-cou is done.
6. The cou-cou should be firm when it’s done. If your cou-cou is loose and creamy looking, it means you have used too much water. If you have used too much water, let the cou-cou stand uncovered over low heat to “dry out.”
7. When the cou-cou is done, turn the entire mixture into a buttered serving bowl and garnish with the whole okra.
Nutritional information per serving: Protein 3.9g Total fat 9.2g Carbohydrates 33.5g Calories 225 Sodium 515mg Cholesterol .02mg